In this episode, we talk about:
- self care being how we treat our bodies, how we move and what we eat
- How doing all the things actually makes us less effective.
- Thinking that existing in a larger body was a problem and how the idea that you could be comfortable taking up more space was not allowed and that weight loss was the way to be successful.
- Why we actually should be listening to 3 year olds to teach us how to eat.
- How restriction is often the opposite of what we want. We do these diets and programs that lead us to be less healthy, less happy and less nourished because we go against what our bodies feel they need.
- The idea of what is wrapped up in thinness how that comes before being intelligent. Our other successes become secondary to pursuing diet goals. It’s always “if i can lose weight then…”
- The boom and bust cycles of movement practices and what the alternative of joyful movement can look like.
For a free workbook an to join my 2x a month truth telling email list head to Kimberlyweiss.com/truthtuesdays. Join the community!
Resources regarding weight + doctor's appointments:
Find out more about Mary Ann and her work and how to get in touch below:
Mary Ann is the Director of Jijaze, an Accredited Shadow Work Coach, Action Learning Facilitator & a Nia Movement Practitioner. She also holds a degree in Swahili and Social Anthropology and as Masters in Anthropological Research. Between 2004 and 2011 she was CEO of the charity AbleChildAfrica and has two decades of years experience as a leader and practitioner in international development; including developing programmes in three countries for the mental health and wellbeing charity BasicNeeds. She is skilled at professional fundraising and grant-making and has raised millions of pounds for the organisations she has worked for to fund social justice projects. Mary Ann also Chaired a Domestic Violence Refuge and led the organisation through a merger/change process and consulted with other organisations in their change-management processes.
Personal Twitter Account: @maryannmhina
Jijaze Facebook group Wellbeing + Impact or Change Makers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/jijazechangemakers
Jijaze Membership Community: : https://jijaze.com/joinus
One of Mary Ann's recent posts talking about Self care and collective care: https://jijaze.com/resisting-the-commoditisation-of-self-care-building-our-capacity-for-collective-care/